Thursday, May 8, 2008

Boston Marathon Trip Saturday

On Saturday, Eric and I left the house around 8am to catch our flight to Boston! We were greeted on the other end by Kevin Frisoli, who took us downtown towards the race expo. First, we hit a spot for lunch: Whiskey’s, which was right across from the race expo.



The downtown area was packed with people out and about, as it was the “2nd” nice day in the Boston area this spring. After lunch, we hit the expo at the Hynes Convention Center. As usual, it was packed with people who were wandering in all different directions, not really knowing which way to go. I grabbed my bib number and race bag with a sweet technical running shirt, “New for 2008.” In the past, they’ve given us cotton shirts which I never wear. They actually had gender-specific shirts for running, so I grabbed my Women’s S and we were on our way into the expo rooms!
The Adidas areas in the expo were swamped, as adidas made the “official” clothing of the Boston Marathon. Couldn’t find my size in anything, they were all sold out! I also heard that Grete Waitz was signing autographs somewhere, but couldn’t find her. I searched and searched. You see, I have this great book, “26.2 Marathon Stories,” and I wanted her to sign it. She is a marathoning/running LEGEND. By the time I found the table, they’d just shut it down. I did squeak in a little chat with Jen Rhines, who will be shooting for the Olympics at the 10K distance this summer. She’s from Liverpool, NY and ran track about the same time I did in high school. We both competed in the 3,000 meter. She was always a little faster than I was. J After the expo, we went back to Kevin and Jen’s, played with Adam, then went out to a spectacularly fun dinner. It was great to see Kevin and Jen again. Some things never change. They are awesome friends and it’s like we never missed a beat, despite the fact that Eric hadn’t seen Kevin in three years!

No comments: