Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Brookhaven Bolt 5K

I ran a 5K this past weekend on 5/17 down in Brookhaven just to revisit the distance. It's been since before childbirth that I've actually done a 5K, so I was interested to see how my speed is being affected by marathon training (and childbirth, motherhood, late nights, early mornings, carpooling...). I finished in 19:59, which I was pretty happy with. Not only did I (barely) break the 20 minute barrier, it was a hilly course. The race director was honest about the hills on the course description, so I knew it would be challenging. I ended up 2nd overall for women, and well, first in my age group I guess b/c the winner of the race was a 21-year-old runner with Olympic aspirations. I had fun running such a short distance. It was over so quickly! As compared to the marathon, of course. I'll be trying a "tri" (triathlon) in a few weeks and the run portion is a 5K. Some good experience gained!

Gotta Run,
Caryn

No comments: